This is a continuation of my posts about creating a Kill Team campaign. A Kill Team often includes a psyker, namely the Rogue Psyker and Disavowed Adept. Here are the rules for using psykers in a kill team game.
Each Psy discipline (Telekineis, Telepathy, Pyrokinesis, Biomancy, Divination) is it's own skill. All focus power rolls use this skill. There is no bonus or penalty to this roll for using a higher or lower psy rating.
Characters are one of two kinds of psykers: Bound or Unbound. Unbound psykers have not undergone imperial conditioning. Bound psykers have been trained by the Imperium to resist the incursion of warp creatures. When making a focus power test, all psykers suffer a psychic phenomenon on a roll of 90-100. An Unbound psyker adds 10 to the results of the psy phenomenon roll.
Psykers may push their psy ratings to higher strengths. Unbound psykers can push their psy rating two levels higher. When pushing, a bound psyker causes a psychic phenomenon on a roll of 10-100. Unbound psykers can push their psy rating up to 4 levels higher. They always cause a psy phenomenon when pushing. They must add 5X the level pushed to the psy phenomenon roll.(One level pushed adds 5 to the roll, 4 levels pushed adds 20 to the roll.)
New Psy powers are learned like talents. The character must have the appropriate psy discipline skill and meet the prerequisites for the psy power. the powers must be learned in the order shown in the rulebook for each discipline. Use this conversion guide to convert the prerequisites.
Strength - Strength
Toughness - Endurance
Agility - Athletics
Intelligence - Psyniscience
Perception - Perception
Psyniscience Rank X - Psyniscince skill of at least Rank X 15
Here is a summary of the psy rules for easy reference.
- Each Psy discipline is a separate skill.
- All focus power attempts are done using this skill.
- Psykers may "push" their psy powers to a higher psy rating. Each level pushed costs 1 MP.
- The penalty/bonus for using higher or lower psy ratings is ignored.
- Bound psykers cause a psy phenomenon on a roll on 90 -100 normally or on a 10-100 if pushing. They can push their psy rating two levels.
- Unbound psykers cause a psy phenomenon on a roll of 90 -100 normally and always when pushing. They can push their psy rating four levels.
- Unbound psykers add 10 to all normal psy phenomenon rolls and 5X the level on a pushed roll.
- Rogue Psykers are unbound. Disavowed Adepts are bound.
- New psi powers are learned using the XP costs and prerequisites listed in the rulebook.