Here is a short primer on the rules for Kill Team. I am using a combination of Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition, Runequest 6th Edition, and Dark Heresy 2nd Edition, my own house rules, and a lot of stuff from other 40k RPGs. If you want to run your own Kill Team game, I recommend grabbing Openquest or the BRP system PDF and Dark Heresy 2nd Edition. That's all you really need.
- Roll under your skill on a D100 to succeed.
- You may "push" a failed roll and try again. Failing a second time incurs a penalty.
- Success levels:
- 1/5 the skill: extreme success
- 1/2 the skill: hard success
- > half but below skill: regular success
- 96-100: fumble (skills over 50 only fumble on a 100)
- Combined skills - some actions require multiple skills rolls. Roll under the lower of the two skills.
- Bonus Die: Roll an extra 10s die and choose the higher.
- Penalty Die: Roll an extra 10s die and choose the lower.
A character can spend luck points to alter a die roll. Only skill rolls can be altered. Spend an amount of luck and subtract it from the die roll and the luck score. When luck is used, a skill check is earned in luck but not the skill modified. At the end of the adventure, roll higher than your current luck score to gain 1d10 luck.
Sanity is your tenuous grip on reality. Things from beyond space and time, true horror, and some Xenos will cause Sanity damage. Sanity is not fear but rather the wearing down of your mental fortitude. Losing 5 or more point of SAN in one roll causes temporary insanity. Losing 1/5 of your SAN in one day plummets the character into PTSD and indefinite insanity. Characters suffering from indefinite insanity must make a willpower roll to behave normally and must recover at the end of the adventure.
- Act in Dex order, higher combat skill breaks ties.
- Fighting HtH is an opposed test.
- Attacker rolls their weapon skill the defender must either dodge or fight back.
- Fighting Back: Attackers wins=defender is hit, Defender wins=attacker is hit. Attacker wins ties.
- Dodging: Attackers wins=defender is hit, Defender wins=No damage. Defender wins ties.
- Pistols may be used for a fighting attack.
- Firearms always act before fighting.
- Firearms can only be dodged if you are in cover.
- You may make a dodge roll with a penalty die to dive for cover.
- Semi-Auto fire: Roll for each bullet with a penalty die.
- Full Auto Fire: Roll one with a penalty die. Success = half the bullets hit ; Extreme success= all shots hit.
- Extreme success with a blunt weapon = max damage +max Str bonus.
- Extreme success with an impaling or slashing weapon = max damage + rolled damage.
- Dodge is used to avoid physical attacks.
- Endurance is used to resist poison, disease, or fatigue.
- Willpower is used to resist mental attacks and fear.
Heavy Weapons and Two weapon fighting are combined skills that are paired with a specific type of weapon. Roll under the lower of the skills involved. For example, if you are firing a heavy plasma gun, you must roll under the lower of Heavy Weapons and Plasma. If you are fighting with a bolt pistol and chainsword, roll under the lower of Two Weapon, Bolter, and Chain.
Weapons work as described in Dark Heresy Second edition. There is no change to the weapon stats.